Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe LoungeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Greek Orthodox baptism gift?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jilljill

Greek Orthodox baptism gift? Empty
PostSubject: Greek Orthodox baptism gift?   Greek Orthodox baptism gift? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 2:44 am

My sister is baptizing her little girl this summer. They are Orthodox and we are Catholic. I am trying to think of a really special gift to give mt niece but I don't know if the difference in faith would change my ideas. Normally I would give a rosary but I don't believe they follow the rosary. So what else? Something special and possible unique because I have a strong feeling there will be Bibles and wall crosses aplenty!

================
Cheap Flights|Cheap Holidays
Back to top Go down
neemasen
Noobie

Greek Orthodox baptism gift? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greek Orthodox baptism gift?   Greek Orthodox baptism gift? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 3:21 am

Another good icon idea is a Guardian Angel icon. Here are a couple of icon websites:

www.comeandseeicons.com
www.skete.com

A few books suitable for very young children are:

- Getting to Know God, by John Kosmas Skinas (available from Conciliar Press, www.conciliarpress.com)

- It's Sunday, Shall We Go to Church? by Elia Liamis & Penelop Moraitou (St. Nikodemos Publication Society, npalis@yahoo.com)

- Guardian Angel Children's Prayer Book by Fr. T Lozynsky (actually a Ukrainian Catholic publication, but widely used in my Orthodox Church - artwork is Slavic in style, and picture of the open Gospel book has Cyrillic lettering - published by the Office of Religious Education, St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Church in Toronto, don't know where to buy it)

These books are wonderfully suited to being read to infants & toddlers, and for children to bring to church with them every time, comparing the pictures to what they see around them, and learning as they grow.

Another idea is to call their church and ask if they have a book and/or gift shop. If they do, you can browse there and perhaps find something suitable.

Enjoy the experience!
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1