Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeThe LoungeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to write an anaphoric poem?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jilljill

How to write an anaphoric poem?  Empty
PostSubject: How to write an anaphoric poem?    How to write an anaphoric poem?  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:31 pm

This investigation of free verse rhythms had as its seed the awe I often experience when reading nonmetrical verse. Whitman and his descendants-the masters of this form-exhibit an uncanny, almost esoteric skill for the arrangement of syntax and syllable within the larger unit of the cadence and the strophe. The exactness with which such poets terminate their lines, the careful modulation of sound and meaning, the awakening of expectation *** freedom of prose sine the cost of meter-these are the praises that free-verse poetry covets. Put well by Gross, "Every element in poetic structure contributes to rhythmic feeling. Sound effects, the spacing and repetition of images and ideas, diction and vocabulary, matters of texture…" (36). I have aimed to make exegetic description of rhythmic effects in free-verse poetry, starting with the "pig-headed father" and stopping at sundry points along the free-verse pedigree-finding on the way, free-verse rhythms inspired not only by parallel syntax and the modulation of sound, but also by nuanced grammar, the regulation of specificity and detail, and the artful use of cliché.

=============
eulogy sample
Back to top Go down

How to write an anaphoric poem?
Page 1 of 1